Well, hello there, Baton Show Lounge!
Chicago's storied drag venue is coming to the former Uptown Underground space at Broadway and Leland, taking over both the first floor and basement in the beautiful Uptown Broadway Building.
In today's newsletter, Ald. Cappleman says:
"ANOTHER NEW ENTERTAINMENT VENUEThere is no date set yet, but the Baton will be celebrating its last New Year's Eve at its River North location in 2018, according to its website.
The Baton Show Lounge, currently located in River North, signed a lease to move to 4707 N. Broadway and occupy the first floor and basement.
Known across the country for their drag shows, the Baton was opened 49 years ago by owner Jim Flint. Special guests in the past have included Joan Crawford, Sammy Davis, Jr, Kirk Douglas, Robert Wagner, Shirley McLaine, Joan Rivers, Madonna, Janet Jackson, RuPaul and Chris Farley."
We are living in an exciting era in Uptown!
- Iconic Drag Bar Baton Show Lounge Leaving River North After 50 Years Because Of High Rent, Owner Says (Block Club Chicago)
- Longtime Drag Venue Near Loop Closing, Moving North To Uptown (WBBM News)
- Baton to relocate to Uptown (Windy City Times)
- Storied Baton Show Lounge moving to Uptown (Crain's Chicago Business)
- Baton Show Lounge, Double Door moving to Uptown (WGN)
- 50-Year-Old Drag Bar Baton Show Lounge Leaving River North (Eater Chicago)
- Baton Club, Famous Chicago Drag Club, Leaving River North After 50 Years (CBS Chicago)