Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Murderer Of 12-Year-Old Alexis Stubbs Gets 60-Year Prison Sentence

John Singleton, the man who was accused of stabbing 12-year-old Alexis Stubbs to death in the hallway of her home because he was angry at being asked to leave, has pleaded guilty in court to first-degree murder.

He accepted a plea deal sentence of sixty years in prison.

Mr. Singleton, who has been incarcerated since he was captured the night of the murder in June 2017, was 31 at the time. Because people convicted of first-degree murder are not eligible for early release from prison and must serve 100% of their sentence, he will be imprisoned until he is 91 years old. Illinois no longer has a death penalty.

Alexis's murder was heart-rending. She attended fifth grade at Courtenay School and was popular with her classmates and her neighbors on the 4600 block of Beacon Street.

She referred to Mr. Singleton as her daddy, although he was not her biological father. It was a horrendous, brutal, heartbreaking crime that never should have happened.

Nothing will bring Alexis back, but there is some relief in knowing that the man who killed her will never walk free again.

Rest in peace, Alexis. You didn't deserve any of this. You are still remembered and you are still loved by many.

Other articles:

1 comment:

  1. The police couldn't respond in time because there weren't enough on-duty officers to handle all of the requests for service. From

    The 19th (Town Hall) Police District was in a backlog at the time of Stubb’s 911 call, meaning that no officers were available to immediately respond to her request for help. Two cops arrived about nine minutes after her first call for help as Singleton fled out the apartment complex’s back door.

    CWBChicago reported that six of the 19th District’s fifteen beat patrol cars sat at the station on the night of Alexis’ murder because there were not enough officers on duty to operate them.

    Alexis’ mom, Misty Stubbs, called 911 at 9:46 p.m. on June 11th to ask for police assistance in getting Singleton out of her apartment, according to dispatch records provided by Chicago’s Office of Emergency Management and Communications (OEMC) in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

    As she stepped outside and waited for officers to arrive, OEMC classified her call as a domestic disturbance, one of the department’s highest priority classifications. But the call was not dispatched to officers because the 19th District was in Radio Assignment Pending (RAP) status, which means that there were not enough police units to handle incoming calls for service. The district had been in a RAP since 3:31 that afternoon, according to records secured by CWBChicago.

    Three minutes after her first call for help, Misty called 911 again, records show. Singleton had armed himself with a knife, she said.

    Noting that the situation was escalating, a dispatcher read the call out on the air in case there were resources available. But no one took the call, and it sat unassigned for nearly two more minutes.