|Progress at 4424 North Sheridan Road, as of Wednesday|
|Quest Realty's upcoming development at Sheridan & Agatite (Hanna Architects)|
Work continues on the 33-unit residential rental building going up at Sheridan and Agatite. We love the vintage look of the salvaged Chicago common bricks being used on the exterior.
The two lots on which it is being built stood empty for nearly half a century until work began late last year. I mean, 1972 is ages ago... Grease debuted on Broadway, McDonald's boasted you could feed a family of four for $5 (and get change back), and two obscure reporters at the Washington Post started writing about a second-rate break-in at the Watergate Hotel.
Over the past couple years, there's been a building boom in the immediately surrounding area. This new development joins a laundry list of makeovers and new construction, all taking place within a quarter mile:
- rehabs of two rental apartment buildings on Montrose east of Hazel;
- 811 Uptown on Clarendon between Agatite and Montrose;
- two historic mansions being restored on the 4500 block of Sheridan;
- the new mixed-use development at Sheridan and Wilson, now in the very first stages of construction;
- Pensacola Place (now The Montrose) adding apartments and townhomes to the existing high-rise;
- rehabbed apartments and new retail (hi, Satellite Cafe!) at 944 Montrose;
- a proposed new 20-unit building at 820 Agatite;
- the conversion of a dilapidated building branded with the dreaded "Red X" to a standalone condo unit; and
- the conversion of the closed and landmarked Stewart School building into residential rentals at 4525 Broadway.