Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Nice Work, Coppers

This alleged robber isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier, choosing to commit his alleged robbery just hours after a brutal murder a couple blocks away, when Uptown was absolutely crawling with cops on the lookout for retaliatory behavior.

From the Tribune:
Bail was set at $250,000 today for a man police say was brandishing a wrench when he tried to rob a pizza deliveryman in the Sheridan Park neighborhood on the North Side Monday night.

A judge set bail for Quinton X. Pruitt, 18, at $250,000 today in court, according to the Cook County sheriff’s office.  Pruitt is scheduled to appear in court for a preliminary hearing on Nov. 5, according to the sheriff’s office.

Pruitt, of the 4600 block of North Beacon Street, was charged with attempted armed robbery for the 7:30 p.m. Monday incident at the Beacon Street address when he allegedly confronted victim, a man, from behind, authorities said.
Read the whole story here.  Residents and pizza deliverymen everywhere rejoice.


  1. This just goes to show you how screwed up the court system really is. I am glad they got this fool and hope they put him away, which I doubt they will, but $250000 bond for a attempted robbery with a wrench as the weapon. Then again maybe this bond setting Judge is starting to see the light.

  2. In a somewhat related story - looks like they're really trying to keep these thugmembers in jail longer:

  3. You only have to put up 10% of the bond. So it's 25,000 "to walk" as they say. CookCounty Jail does take credit cards now (no american express) so he could be out soon.

  4. I thought the 10% was what you had to pay to a bondsman but that you had to have collateral for the full amount? I don't think you just pay the Cook County Jail 10% and walk. I think you pay the bondsman 10%, which is usually nonrefundable even if you show up to court, AND the bondsman takes collateral for the remaining 90%. I thought that if he doesn't have enough collateral to get a bondsman to pay the full amount, he is SOL. Please correct me if I'm wrong because this is not based on personal experience, just in reading about this stuff. Maybe it varies state to state.

  5. It's 10 percent and you are out. The bailbonds system varies from state to state but here in good old IL you post 10 percent and that's it.

    Also what a lot of people don't realize is in a couple weeks his lawyer will have a bond reduction hearing which usually ends up with the judge reducing his/her bond. In all, even if a bond starts out at an acceptable level you may see Mr. Friendly walking down the block in a few weeks depending on what judge they appear in front of.

    In the spirit of election time I suggest checking out the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP Lodge) in regards to who they endorse.

  6. turboman, Cook County also has I-bonds were people are released with "a promise to appear."

  7. Thanks for the info. That is pretty ridiculous. What a bummer...

    For the election, you can also check out which judges the Chicago Bar Association endorses.

  8. Thanks for the link. The FOP link to the general election is as follows.