According to CBS2 and readers on our Facebook page, "A fire broke out overnight in a high-rise building in the Uptown neighborhood. Something caught fire in a hallway in the prewar high-rise at 4423 N. Sheridan Rd. The fire broke out at 3:15 a.m. and was brought under control a short time later."
You can read the rest of the story here, but thankfully there is no mention of any injuries. If you have any further details, please post them in the comments.
Update: Here's the Tribune story.
Update: A commenter says: "The resident that was taken to get medical assistance from this building lost his cat. He believes that the cat got out when the EMS team came. HAS ANYONE SEEN IT? Its a white and gray long-haired cat, its name is Buffy. I am unsure if Buffy is wearing a collar - but more than likely scared. If you see the cat, please post a reply to this message or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org."
The two men that caused this fire are in JAIL.ReplyDelete
HI! The resident that was taken to get medical assistance from this building lost his cat. He believes that the cat got out when the EMS team came. HAS ANYONE SEEN IT?ReplyDelete
Its a white and gray long-haired cat, its name is Buffy. I am unsure if Buffy is wearing a collar - but more than likely scared. If you see the cat, please post a reply to this message or email me at email@example.com
He is worried about his friend. Thanks
So sad. I wonder if someone searched the building? He may be still in there. If I see your friends cat I will contact you. I know how he must feel, as stupid as it sounds as I couldn't get down the stairway because of too much smoke, I thought about leaving my cat and went back to get her. I grabbed my keys, cell phone and put my car in my bag and got on the fire escape. It was terrible, I'm still shaken..Delete
Both men are not in jail. The victim is in the burn center at UIC due to the 3rd degree burns he incurred. He was however able to wake up alot of tenants on several floors to alert them of the fire before being taken to the hospital. It could have been alot worse.ReplyDelete
I'm sorry to say BUT because of a domestic violence problem many, many of us could have been injured or worse. I'm NOT going to cut any ice about it either. That's it I have no further comment.ReplyDelete
Oh, one more thing, I'm sorry for the victim but in case they didn't know, Howard brown has services that will assist in domestic issues so they won't jeopardize others lives with their madness. Keep these problems where they belong, in the counseling office NOT in apartment buildings where others have nothing to do with it. Like I said thank God everyone is still living. Who wants to loose their life in a fire due to people being senseless ??ReplyDelete
what's all this about a domestic violence issue? how did that start the fire? I live on the 9th floor and grabbed my cat too. I'm glad we didn't have to wait outside, she would have been cold!ReplyDelete
I don't think the missing cat could still be in the building. There's really nowhere for it to hide undetected. I hope they find it.
I wonder if the fire killed some of the bedbugs that 4423 is reported to have. Check Bedbug Registery before renting anywhere.ReplyDelete
Bed bug registry? Hmm, how do I find that?ReplyDelete
Bed bug registry? Hmm, how do I find that?
February 23, 2012 9:32 PM
I live on the 7th floor. I was the one that called 911 at 3:08am. I happened to be awake because of my close proximity to the argument. Those bastards woke me up. The story I have heard from an eyewitness down the hall is that the two got in a drunk argument, one punched the other and kicked him out into the hallway, where someone had discarded a mattress. The one lit the mattress, then realized what he had done, ran to get the fire extinguisher, but there wasn't one, just a hose. By that time it was too late and the mattress was up in flames that spread into their apartment, which I assume is when the other tenent received the burns. If these two aren't in jail I'd be shocked. That's arson, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, destruction of property, domestic violence, etc. The list goes on. They provided me with the scariest moments of my life, running down a smoke filled hallway blind with burning eyes and smoke filled lungs. I didn't stop coughing up soot til yesterday. My apartment suffered relatively bad smoke damage, but thankfully most of my belongings were spared. The paint on my door was melted off. CFD saved my apartment with a matter of seconds to spare. I hope no one else I know ever has to go through this.ReplyDelete
I've put up with nonsense like this living in buildings where the majority of tenants are clients of local mental health agencies.ReplyDelete
I try and try and try to engage (the social workers) about curbing their clients' bad behavior, but they say they legally can't make them shape up. My latest beef is the fact that about eight or so guys from their drop-in center in Lincoln Park harass shoppers all around Clark/Diversey/Broadway.
So what is going to be done, then? Maybe the laws have to be changed.
Only the one who lit the fire is in jail and charged with aggravated arson.ReplyDelete