|Ainslie viaduct looking toward Winthrop|
No doubt about it! The CTA's long-planned RPM (Red and Purple Modernization) project that will completely rebuild the L between Leland and Bryn Mawr is finally underway.
Much of the initial work is taking place in Edgewater, since the project will progress from the north to the south. But that doesn't mean CTA will sit around and ignore Uptown. We've got stuff goin' on.
- Crane Lifts on Ainslie between L tracks and Winthrop: On Thursday, July 29, between 9am and 4pm, there will be crane lifts and the short stretch of Ainslie between the train viaduct and Winthrop Avenue will be closed to vehicular and bike traffic. At least one sidewalk will be open for pedestrians.
The contractor will provide alternative parking for impacted residents. If you need further information about alternative parking and temporary parking passes, please contact the contractor, Walsh-Fluor, at 708-253-9772. There will be noise while work is being performed, including general construction noise; noise from rail equipment and a crane; beeping for backup alarms on vehicles; and flagging horns. (Backup work dates are July 30 and 31.)
- Alley Closures due to Embankment Demolition and Track-Level Barrier Installation: Work hours will be 7am-7pm Mondays through Saturdays. The process will, unfortunately, last for weeks and be loud.
Crews will work north to south and will block access to the alleys and garages/parking spaces during stated work hours. Access to garages/parking spaces will be available at the end of each workday. The contractor will provide alternative parking for impacted residents. If you need further information about alternative parking, please contact the contractor, Walsh-Fluor, at 708-253-9772.
The contractor will maintain garbage and recycling pickup. The contractor will implement the necessary dust mitigation procedures.
There will be noise while work is being performed. Noise will include general construction noise; loud noise and vibration from driving sheet pile at track level; loud noise from track and embankment demolition; beeping for backup alarms on vehicles; and flagging horns.
Here are the affected areas and dates:
- The alley behind 5100 - 5258 N. Winthrop Avenue (Winona Street to Berwyn Avenue):
Monday, July 19 to Friday, September 24.
- The alley behind 4900 - 5062 N. Winthrop Avenue (Winona Street to Ainslie Street):
Monday, July 26 to Friday, September 24.
- The alley behind 4800 - 4848 N. Winthrop Avenue (Ainslie Street to Lawrence Avenue):
Monday, August 2 to Friday, October 1.
- If you'd like to see the beginning of intense demo on the project, this weekend from Friday night until Monday morning, the train viaduct on Bryn Mawr will be demolished. Bryn Mawr will be closed.