Some things to know about Sunday's Pride Parade taking place in our front yard:
- It starts early! The parade kicks off at noon from Broadway and Montrose, but floats and participants start arriving early to the staging areas. Expect music (lots of music!) and a party atmosphere beginning around 8am, when streets close and the floats begin to arrive.
- Uptown retailers will be open! Stop by Uptown Arcade, Satellite Cafe, Jake's, Fat Cat, Provisions Uptown, My Buddy's, Tattoo Factory, Uptown Lounge, Baton Show Lounge... etc., etc., etc.! Show your #UptownPride.
- Getting around will be rough. Expect lots of people, and lots of vehicular traffic, especially on the arterial streets.
- Buses will be rerouted. Public transportation is your best bet - CTA will be putting extra trains on the Red Line, and several bus lines will be rerouted: #8 Halsted; #22 Clark; #36 Broadway; 76 Diversey; 77 Belmont; 78 Montrose; 80 Irving Park; 151 Sheridan; and #152 Addison. CTA has a really informative page on the logistics of getting around Sunday here.
- Public drinking is highly discouraged. Police will be stationed in the crowd and there is a possible $1000 fine for drinking on the public way.
- Restrooms and cooling buses. There will be port-a-potties scattered along the parade route and along the staging areas. There will be several places where cooling buses are available. In Uptown, it's on Buena between Sheridan and Broadway.