|The Gerber Building at Broadway and Wilson as seen today|
We spotted steel beams rising from each side of the main entrance today. These will support the the beautiful arched clock tower that will return for the first time since it was removed in the late 1950s.
|The Gerber Building sometime after completion in 1923|
Does anyone know why they were removed in the late 50s?ReplyDelete
Likely because it was in bad shape, but according to Chicago-L.org: "In an unfortunate loss to the building's architectural splendor, the decorative terra cotta arched parapet at the station's corner entrance was removed between 1957 and 1959. It is not clear why it was removed, nor if this was part of the 1958 renovation effort, though it likely was."ReplyDelete