Update: We have been told that the rendering below is from a previous incarnation of the proposed surf park. The new proposed location is further west, away from the Magic Hedge, The Dock, the bird sanctuary, the Wilson Beach House, and the volleyball courts. It is near the Wilson Comfort Station, which is off Simonds Drive, immediately south of Wilson. It's a stone building that currently has a Mexican restaurant in it, directly east of Cricket Hill, near the water.
|An overview of the proposed surf area with the Wilson Avenue Beach House visible on the left (Facebook)|
Alderman Cappleman is hosting a community meeting at Clarendon Park Community Center on Thursday evening May 19th beginning at 7:00pm. It is focused on the proposed renovations to the existing Beach House, Concession and Restrooms at Wilson Ave.
From the proposed vendor; Chicago Surf, the main improvements would consist of:
1) RESTROOMS: Completely renovated, both utility lines (water / sewer) - severely needed as the existing infrastructure has not been touched in over 60 years, but also cosmetically - renovating the toilets, sinks, mirrors, automated soap and drying dispensers, etc.
2) SECURITY: The new vendor to the existing concession area; Chicago Surf would provide licensed security officers during operational hours plus multiple 24/7 security cameras linked directly to the 19th Police District Headquarters - Currently NO security in the area, this would be a HUGE benefit to the community.
3) CONCESSION / COMFORT STATION: The current concession house's water / electric condition, and cosmetic status is in horrific condition. There are major sewage, water and electrical issue with the existing building. Chicago Surf would improve these issues to Code.
- Add an attractive patio seating area on the existing concession grounds. Currently there is not even a single seating area for guests of the concession house to eat / sit.
- Exciting Food & Beverage menu
- Merchandise. Currently there is no where at the beach to purchase sun screen, sun glasses, hats, towels, or beach rentals, Chicago Surf would offer these items and more.
More info can be found on their website and Facebook page