|The west campus, in front of the building|
"Today, CPS has officially sold Graeme Stewart School at 4525 N. Kenmore to Morningside USA. Their bid was the highest of a total of 4 bids and their plans complemented Metropolitan Planning Commission's report based on community feedback. Click here to view a copy of that document.
This development will be in 3 different phases, with the first phase focused on the rehab of the school itself into 50 residential units. Second and third phases will rely on zoning changes that will require further community feedback from residents and the 46th Ward Zoning & Development Committee. The architectural firm Pappageorge Haymes Partners is doing this project.
You will see some immediate changes to the property. For liability reasons, Morningside USA will fence the entire perimeter of the property, close the parking lot just north of the property, and remove the existing playground equipment. Morningside has donated this equipment to Kids Around The World for reuse because neither the Chicago Park District nor CPS are able to take the equipment once it has been removed.
This particular area is going through a lot of construction with the Wilson L and two other transit-oriented developments within a few blocks of one another, which can be very inconvenient. However, I am hopeful that the lasting benefits to our community will far outweigh the temporary inconveniences. As always, please contact my office if you have any questions about this or any projects in our ward."
|The south section of the campus, next to Sunnyside Avenue|
|The north section of the campus, currently a parking lot with an entrance off the 4500 block of Kenmore, once used by school staff. Behind Uptown Pizza & Ribs.|
Previous Uptown Update articles regarding Stewart School:
- Metropolitan Planning Council Is Proud Of What Stewart School Workshops Accomplished
- CPS Approves Sale of Stewart School, Redevelopment to Include Community's Criteria
- Stewart School Sold, Pending CPS Approval
- More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Stewart School
- Stewart School Goes On The Block This Week
- MPC Releases Its Recommendations About Stewart School & CTA Wilson Property
- What To Do With Stewart School? Three Community Workshops Will Try To Figure That Out