|Costa d'Oro restaurant, circa 1990 (image from Chicago Public Library Sulzer collection)|
From grocery to bar to restaurant to bar to restaurant, the building at 5025 North Clark has had a presence in Uptown since it was built in 1922. Now after a year-long makeover, it's home to Cantina 1910.
We've only gotten a few brief glances at what it's hosted over the past 93 years:
- In 1928, it was a grocery store
- By 1942, it was presumably empty, and the Trumbull School Parent-Teacher Association used the space for a huge rummage sale, the proceeds of which were used "to further the work of agencies connected with children's welfare."
- In 1955, it was a tavern, and its owner/bartender went to trial on charges that he was selling post office jobs. He was acquitted.
- At some point, it became Costa d'Oro Italian restaurant, which was still going strong in 1990, when the photo above was taken.
- Sometime around 1994, Julie Mai's LeBistro, with French/Vietnamese cuisine, opened when Ms. Mai and her husband bought the building. They remained the owners until recently.
- Around 2001, T's Bar, which many remember fondly, opened in the space.
- In 2013, T's closed due to non-payment of rent, and the group that owned Crew and SoFo Tap purchased the building. According to DNAinfo, the building was in "dismal condition" and required a long reconstruction to get it up to par. Cantina 1910 (at one time slated to be called Cantina de la Granja) opened there earlier this year.