- "My office is currently following a case in Uptown's Margate Park neighborhood regarding a suspected arsonist in the area. He is currently being held on $100,000 bond for attempted arson and burglary charges. He is suspect in several area fires including one on the 900 block of Margate Terrace and one at the Somerset this summer. Community participation and information helped piece together a case and over 20 court advocates have attended court to help emphasize the importance of this case in our community.
- On September 25 at 10:25 pm, a 16-year old gang member was walking at 1006 W. Ainslie when rival gang members fired a handgun at him from a passing vehicle. He was not struck but the errant rounds struck and broke a window in a nearby building. 20th District officers broadcast a description of the offender’s vehicle and shortly thereafter, officers in the 24th District spotted the vehicle near Jonquil and Ashland. Several of the occupants fled the scene but the officers were able to apprehend a 24-year old male, who is a self-admitted gang member. The handgun was not recovered but he was charged with reckless conduct and resisting arrest.
- Due to the recent increase in gang related violence in the Uptown area, 20th District tactical officers were performing a gang suppression mission near Sheridan and Ainslie on October 2. The officers observed a known gang member, a 20-year old male, driving a Toyota Camry and effected a traffic stop. The suspect abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot with the officers in pursuit. Upon being captured, the suspect was returned to the vehicle and the officers learned that it had been stolen from Evanston. A search incident to the arrest recovered 9mm ammunition. This individual was on parole and in addition to being charged with the stolen car and ammunition, his parole was revoked.
- Earlier this summer, a parole compliance check conducted by the Illinois Department of Corrections resulted in an arrest of an area gang member for possession of a firearm. I would like to thank the officers and leadership of the 20th and 24th police districts, Cook County State's Attorney office, Illinois Department of Corrections and court advocates who attended hearings for this case as it resulted in a sentence of 7 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections. This individual is linked to many criminal incidents in our neighborhood and having him off our streets for several years is a big step in the right direction for our community's safety.
- We are always looking for court advocates to represent the community during these trials. If you would like more information on what court advocacy is or would like to join us, please notify Marko Zaric from my office with your information. He can be reached at Marko@48thward.org or 773-784-5277."
Monday, October 13, 2014
Update On Alleged Arsonist, Other Crimes
his latest email newsletter:
By Kate Uptown - October 13, 2014