Shortly after 7am, an explosion took place in the viaduct where Lawrence Avenue runs under DuSable Lake Shore Drive.
Heavy black smoke was seen pouring out of the viaduct, and there were (and are) concerns about the safety of the people experiencing homelessness who have set up tents in the viaduct.
We haven't heard any reports of injuries, thankfully.
Suspicions are that one or more propane tanks stored in the viaduct exploded, setting tents on fire.
We have seen propane tanks on both sides of Wilson and Lawrence and in the parks, and this is not the first propane fire. Storing tanks of highly explosive chemicals in the midst of people living in extremely flammable tents, directly underneath a heavily traveled U.S. highway and on the public sidewalk, seems like a very dangerous situation to us.
We will report more information as we learn more, and we continue to hope everyone in the vicinity of the explosion is okay.