"The March 20th Primary Election is less than two months away. You can check the status of your voter registration or register to vote at chicagoelections.com.
The Board of Elections is actively seeking people to serve as judges of election for the primary. Judges of election are the officials who are responsible for the conduct of the election in the precinct polling place. The job is challenging, interesting and personally rewarding.
Judges are paid $140 for serving on Election Day along with an additional $50 for attending training. In each precinct, the judges share in the responsibilities, the duties and the authorities that include:
- Opening the polling place and setting up voting equipment at 5 a.m. on Election Day;
- Conducting a fair, impartial and secure election in the precinct polling place, allowing voting from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tabulating the vote totals for the precinct and transmitting the results to Election Central after the polls close at 7 p.m.
To serve as a judge of election you must meet all of the requirements listed below. Judges of Election must:
- Be registered voters in Cook County (U.S. citizens at least 18 years of age);
- Be able to speak, read and write English;
- Be able to perform basic math;
- Be of good understanding and capable;
- Not be a committeeman, precinct captain or candidate and must agree not to serve as a judge if they become one;
- Notify the Board of Elections if a person who shares his or her residence becomes a candidate, and must not serve as a judge in that election in any precinct where that candidate is on the ballot;
- Be of good repute and character and not a registered sex offender anywhere in the United States and not have committed a crime that would require registering as a sex offender anywhere in the United States;
- Agree that if the judge applicant is removed as an election judge due to misbehavior, neglect of duty or other cause, the person will not be paid for training or election day service;
- Agree that if a person fails to perform all of the services required of a judge, the compensation may be reduced accordingly;
- Agree that by law, the name, address and party affiliation are subject to public disclosure; and,
- Agree that the Board of Elections may use any personal data provided in the Judge Application for the Board's internal operations.
For complete information on serving as a judge of election, including the application, please click here."
You can fill out an application here.