The much-anticipated line-up for Open House Chicago has been announced and Uptown will be part of it. (Sadly, the rumored inclusion of the Uptown Theater didn't happen.) But there are six other sites to enjoy here, and more than 200 citywide. Check it all out on October 14th and 15th:
- 5040-5060 North Marine Drive Condominiums. Check out the 1939 building's Art Moderne design and Art Deco fountain. Open Saturday 10am-4pm and Sunday 1pm-5pm.
- Buddhist Temple of Chicago. One of the oldest Buddhist congregations in Chicago meets in a modern building, notable for its altars: One was built from scraps by released interred Japanese-Americans during WWII and the other is a a stunningly detailed Admida Buddha altar. Open Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 1pm-5pm.
- Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club. With 1400 feet of track, it's one of the largest model railroad scenarios in the country. Open Saturday and Sunday, 10am-4pm.
- ICA GreenRise. The building that was home to Kemper Insurance for many decades is now one of the largest social services centers in the Midwest. Its owners are dedicated to ecology and sustainability. Check out the former executive corner office, the eco-friendly community kitchen, and one of the largest solar arrays in Chicago. Open Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 10am-4pm.
- Lawrence House. You can already sit in the beautifully restored lobby with its stained glass ceiling, but for the weekend only, you can see tenant-only rooms like the original boxing gym, mosaic tiled indoor pool, and roof deck with sweeping views of Uptown. Open Saturday and Sunday, 10am-4pm.
- Preston Bradley Center (The Peoples Church). Its namesake, Dr Preston Bradley, used to have his sermons carried nationwide from this building. The magnificent architecture from the church's glory days remains. Experience the beautiful sanctuary with its striking mural, the 4th Floor Uptown Arts Center Gallery, and elegant Mason Hall. Open Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 1pm-5pm.