The police point out that we are the ones who see things like this, that we are the ones who provide information to them about what is happening on our streets. If you have any information on this criminal, please call 911 or the Bureau of Detectives (see number below).
"[Thursday] afternoon at approx 2:30 I was held up at gunpoint in the alley behind my house [on the] 4500 block of Dover between Dover and Clark by a young light-skinned black male approx 16 years old, 5'7" tall, I am guessing.*Police issued a release saying a similar assault took place in Lincoln Park on the 800 block of Fletcher the same evening, when an offender with a gun followed a woman into her garage and held her up. The description was similar, but not identical, to the crime on Dover.
Please be on the lookout for yourselves and for this criminal who was wearing a maroon hoodie and a black scarf across the face. The officers think he will make another attempt in the area* as he was unsuccessful with me as I had nothing on me.Luckily he did not shoot me although he pointed the gun at my head. My new neighbor was there, as was a worker on his property. We were just discussing the fence in the alley when this happened.Please forward and advise other neighbors not on this email to be aware of their surroundings at all times. A police report has been filed. If you see anything suspicious, call 911."
Here's what the police say to do:
- Always be aware of your surroundings
- Report suspicious activity immediately to 911 and provide a description
- If you are confronted by an assailant remain calm
- Remember any unique physical characteristics (ie., scars, limp, acne, tattoos)
- Be aware of any suspicious vehicles standing in alleys
- If approached by a witness to the incident, request contact information
- Dial 911 immediately and remain on scene when possible