Here's the press release from the City:
"A uniquely designed Uptown commercial building and a surviving example of the Near South Side’s “Furniture Row” were approved today as official Chicago Landmarks by City Council.
- Cairo Supper Club Building, 4015-17 N. Sheridan Road. The Cairo Supper Club Building was designed by noted Chicago architect Paul Gerhardt Sr. in the rare Egyptian Revival architectural style. Completed in 1920, the one-story commercial structure is clad with multi-colored terra cotta ornamented with a variety of ancient Egyptian motifs, including lotus-decorated columns and a concave “cavetto” cornice.
The building’s first use was as an automobile showroom in the 1920s before becoming the popular Cairo Supper Club and hosting a variety of entertainment acts. The designation applies to all building elevations, including rooflines, with provisions to accommodate a potential redevelopment project that will preserve the front 20 feet of the structure.
Both properties were recommended for Landmark designation by the Commission on Chicago Landmarks this summer."
|1929 Hupmobile sedan|
photo used courtesy of Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden
Photo by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden