|Broadway looking north, from Leland (courtesy Google Streetview)|
Today, Mayor Emanuel announced that Uptown will receive funding as an “Opportunity Planning Area” to continue Alderman Cappleman’s plan to make Uptown a destination for entertainment, education, and culture.
Alderman Cappleman stated, “For the past two years, I have been working tirelessly with Mayor Emanuel and various City Departments to forge a plan to create a clear identity for Uptown that will increase economic development and public safety. The renovation of the Wilson Red Line Station was step one, this is step two.”
Alderman Cappleman noted that, “Investment in this area will enhance the improvements at the new Wilson Station and our plans for the Entertainment District. Improving the streetscape, adding neighborhood identifiers, and maximizing use of public transportation will create a distinctive environment. When people come to this area, they will immediately know they are in Uptown.”
- Standard streetscape improvements on Broadway between Leland and Gunnison, and on Lawrence between Broadway and Winthrop.
- New pedestrian plaza at intersection of Broadway/Racine.
- Flexible street improvements on Clifton St. between Lawrence and Broadway. [UU Note: This is the street that runs between Bridgeview Bank and the long parking lot east of it.]
- Both sides of Broadway, new sidewalks, ADA ramps, bump-outs where possible, lighting community identifiers, and landscaping.
- Focus on Broadway streetscape between Wilson and Leland.