Monday, April 4, 2011
An Election Primer
And that, dear readers, brings us to SHENANIGANS !
This is a number to have and hold close to your heart. Program it into your cell phone now and save time later:
312-269-7870 - The Board of Elections "Election Central" hotline.
If you see anything that doesn't look or feel right, call it. You can post about it, and we encourage that, but it shouldn't be in lieu of calling the Board of Elections. You can cause someone shame by posting their wrongdoing -- but you can do something about it by calling the Board of Elections.
- If someone tells you your candidate isn't in the race anymore - call 312-269-7870.
- If someone tells you you're not allowed to vote - call 312-269-7870.
- If you are approached by thugs outside the polling place who ask you who you're going to vote for - call 312-269-7870.
- If you see anyone passing out election materials or wearing a campaign button inside the blue cones outside a polling place - call 312-269-7870.
- If someone offers to "help" you vote and you didn't ask for help - call 312-269-7870.
Now, this may not happen to you, but it may happen to people who aren't as informed as you are, the elderly or people who don't speak English well. Please keep an eye out for them as well.
It's been an eventful enough campaign without adding shenanigans to the roster. Let the election be won or lost on its own merits.