Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Uptown Corner Market

UPDATE: Thanks to the diligence of an "Uptown Update" reader, the city of Chicago is now investigating these peddlers and we can report that as of today, Monday, we did not see them at Broadway and Wilson. Let's hope that this action shows other peddlers that we will not tolerate illegal peddling. Bravo!


  1. wonder how much taxes they pay...living in the third world is wonderful ... hs idea of utopia .. kinda like cuba ... another bong hit please

  2. Hmmm. Maybe we can hook them up with the two, count 'em, two vendors at the farmer's market.

  3. Then there is that pesty ordinance against sidewalk sales without permits that doesn't get enforced in the Uptown version of the Chicago Municipal Code - except when it is enforced against the block clubs.

  4. Just checking, but if this guy didn't have a permit for his sopping cart sidewalk sale, that's, uh, illegal, right? Assuming it is, I hope whoever took that picture called the police.

    And who the hell buys those ugly pink baseball caps and visors?

  5. That is a nice picture. Thank you.

  6. Not sure, but I think that when the wares are on private property, there isn't anything the police can do about it.

    The fence is on private property.

    The same thing goes for Harris Bank. Until the bank complains about people sleeping in their drive through, the police turn a blind eye.

  7. 10-8-520 Street vendors.
    No person, other than a licensed peddler, as permitted by the provisions of Chapter 4-244 of this Code, shall sell, offer or expose for sale, or solicit any person to purchase any article or service whatsoever, except newspapers, on any public way.

    No person shall sell, offer or expose for sale, or solicit any person to purchase any newspaper from any vehicular traffic lane on any public way in the city.

    (Prior code § 36-49.1; Amend Coun. J. 2-26-86, p. 28157; Amend Coun. J. 5-12-99, p. 2313)

  8. Call the friggen police everytime you see it. I'll do the same. that's the only way to stop it.

  9. I have called the police, and the alderman's office last summer, did not help. I have seen that the 311 website has a work order for "trouble with street vendor" maybe we should all start flooding 311 with those work orders

  10. oops, that is "push cart food vendor problem" or "operating without a business license" I think those are the 2 that may apply to Wilson and Broadway

  11. We have complained about them at our CAPS meetings in the past. The police claim that is private property and unless the currency exchange owners complain there is nothing they can do.

    Guess who the currency exchange's #1 customer is? People like the vendor, so they're not going to help us out.

  12. Probably a good time to rob the Currency Exchange while he has the windows and sidewalk blocked. I bet the CHPD would give a shit then. We need to get rid of Currency Exchanges anyway.

  13. Don't they still need a business license to sell these "products"?

  14. You don't need anything to do business in Chicago only if you get caught. LOL
    Look at all the low life developers not finishing their projects and the city looks the other way.

  15. Try reporting it to the Dept of Business Affairs. This is the process, per their website.

    Department of Business Affairs and Licensing investigators are sworn peace officers. An investigator will determine if you are in compliance. If you are not in compliance, appropriate enforcement action will be taken. Action can include ordering the removal of the structure or material that resides on the public way.

    How Do I Report a Potential Non-Permitted Use of the Public Way?

    If you believe that the public way is being used without a permit, please file a complaint with the Department of Business Affairs and Licensing's Compliance and Investigation Division by calling (312) 747-5185 Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Offices are closed on holidays.

    Public Way Use Enforcement Terms and Information

    Notice of Violation Public Way Use

    A Notice of Violation Public Way Use serves both as a notice to persons their current encroachment of the public way in violation of the Municipal Code and as a directive to obtain the proper permit. The Notice of Violation Public Way Use provides a directive that within the required time frame (denoted number of days) if the encroachment of the public way still exists, the City of Chicago will physically remove it from the public way. Typically, person are allotted 60 days to obtain the required permits. However, individual circumstances may warrant a shorter or longer period of time (number of days) to comply. A Notice of Violation Public Way Use is usually issued in conjunction with an Administrative Notice of Violation.

    Removal Order

    A Removal Order directs the person to immediately remove the encroachment of the public way. If the encroachment and/or obstruction is not removed after six hours of receiving or issuance of a Removal Order, the City of Chicago removes the encroachment of the public way. When the physical removal of the public way encroachment is completed, said items are stored. All expenses incurred for the removal, storage, advertising and discarding of said property will be billed to the person(s) who were responsible for the public way encroachment. To locate property that has been removed after the issuance of a Removal Order, please contact the Department of Business Affairs and Licensing's Compliance and Investigation Division by calling (312) 747-5185 Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Offices are closed on holidays.

    Administrative Notice of Violation

    An Administrative Notice of Violation is a complaint serving notice of violation to the respondent. The complaint is filed with the Department of Administrative Hearings. This complaint details violations of the Municipal Code Ordinance and summons the defendant to appear before an Administrative Law Officer to respond to said charges.

  16. Well, the number posted on the Dept of Business Affairs & Licensing website didn't work, but further inquiry revealed that:
    1. A Business Affairs investigator can be sent out to check the street vendor's permit, badge, and street cart signage. Business Affairs has a Community Outreach and Advocacy Team lead by Rosa A. Garino (312)-744-5496 to address community issues such as this.
    2. A street vendor can be licensed as a peddler and then can walk around non-prohibited areas to sell out of a licensed cart on the sidewalk.
    3. Neither a street vendor nor a licensed peddler may hang items on a private business fence adjoining the public way. The fence owner who owns the fence will be fined for allowing this (Wow, does this mean Peter Holstein's Wilson Yard's development gets fined for the junk hung on the fences in front of Aldi's?)
    4. The local police are still respsonsible for removals and monitoring. If they won't do it file an OPS complaint. You may file it directly in your own words with the police department to avoid having the 23rd District write it up.
    5. Both the Dept of Business Affairs and the 23rd District have been contacted about this issue.

  17. PM-
    We applaud your research and hard work on this issue.

  18. Thanks to PM's hard work, the city of Chicago is investigating the peddling by these gentleman/men. We need to continue to be vigilant and report things we see to the city. We now know the city is reading "Uptown Update" and is watching what is going on in our neighborhood.

  19. That is so cool!

  20. Street Vendor guy was back again on Wednesday at 4:30 pm, but with a significantly pared down operation. Nothing hanging on the fences, just two shopping carts.

    I can't get too excited about his cart operation. So long as the street is clear enough to walk through and it doesn't form a shield for the more serious "vending" going on in that corner mall, he seems innocuous selling his teddy bears and T-shirts. He is just selling toys and shirts, right?