|click to enlarge|
We're not sure of the year this picture was taken, but the McJunkin Building, visible in the top right corner, was built in 1924, so it was after that. According to this blog, it was taken in 1926. There's a nice close-up of the McJunkin sign in the article.
The Arcadia Ballroom, the building with the curved roof in the center of the photo, was built in 1910 and served as a combination skating rink and dance hall. It burned to the ground in 1959 and was replaced by, among other things, a Purple Martin gas station, and eventually Target.
The beautiful terra cotta low-rise at the corner of Montrose and Broadway existed until 2007, when it was torn down to make room for Wilson Yard. All the remains of it is a few original terra cotta tiles surrounding the doorway of PNC Bank.
|July 2007, a couple months before the building was demolished|