But then many reports started coming in of a shooting at Weiss Plaza, the strip mall at the corner of Sheridan and Lawrence. We've got a turf war going on, apparently, where the idiot gangbangers are trying to kill each other for some real or perceived reason. It's a few people making a lot of trouble.
There's been a lot of information coming in, fast and furious, and this is what we know so far:
- The location of the shooting was, specifically, 4816 North Sheridan, the Cricket store.
- Two people -- possibly a male and a female -- were taken to Illinois Masonic.
- There are reports that the vehicle involved was a gold minivan -- just like Friday night. So, yes, a few people causing all this trouble, and too dumb to even get another car. Idiots.
- One suspect is already in custody.
- A gun was found thrown in the bushes on the 800 block of Gunnison.
- An armed suspect spotted near Castlewood and Marine two hours ago, and there is an active, ongoing manhunt for him. You may have heard the helicopters. He is described as a 17 to 22-year-old black male with a white t-shirt. That's not going to help much.
- CBS has a story up and confirms the victims and injuries, "a 20-year-old male black was shot in the leg, and a 21-year-old black female was shot in leg and shoulder." Neither injury is considered life threatening.
There is a public safety meeting sponsored by Ald. Osterman on Tuesday night, June 11 at the Broadway Armory (5917 N. Broadway) starting at 7:00pm. 20th District Commander James Jones (and 24th District Commander Thomas Waldera) are scheduled to speak about safety in their districts. Weiss Plaza is in the 20th District, and we imagine that today's events will be a big topic of conversation. If you'd like to hear more, and/or if you're concerned about safety, we urge you to attend.