|Photo courtesy of City-Data.com|
"Around 35 residents attended the presentation from Akara Partners this past Monday to hear about their proposal to build 20 apartment units at 4027 N. Broadway where the Ace Furniture building now stands.
After the presentation the assembled group discussed the pros and cons of the plans presented and agreed on five issues for consideration and resolution:
- There needs to be retail on the first floor
- There needs to be a clearer plan for garbage disposal
- There is concern about storm water run off since the new building takes up the entire lot
- There should be a bike room to store bikes
- There needs to be a clearer explanation for how they arrived at the mix of one, two, three and four bedroom units
The proposal also raised concerns from neighbors that adequate space for garbage disposal was not planned. Apparent lack of consideration for where the refuse truck would park to collect dumpsters, where the dumpsters would be kept, and how top floors would access dumpsters raised concerns. Similarly, adequate planning for runoff from the building and bicycle parking and storage were matters of concern for neighbors.
Finally, the group wanted to know how Akara Partners determined the proposed mix of units, particularly the four bedroom units. Concern was raised that the current demographics of Buena Park would not support such housing.
As mentioned above, BPN talked to Mike Breheny and it has been decided to have a second meeting this coming Monday at the same place and time as the last meeting.
Meeting to discuss the Akara Partners proposal
4101 N. Broadway, 7 pm
Monday, June 9th"