|Chicago Daily News negatives collection, DN-0003698. Courtesy of Chicago History Museum.|
This ornate mansion once stood at the corner of Sunnyside and Beacon, at 4500 N Beacon (then known as 3127 Beacon). The photo was taken in 1906 by a photographer for the Chicago Daily News, when the home belonged to the Mayor of Chicago, Edward Fitzsimmons Dunne, who served from 1905-1907, then went on to become the Governor of Illinois from 1913-1917. Note the horse and carriage on Sunnyside heading toward Dover.
It is now a parking lot. The light brick building next to it still stands, and there is another building occupying the space where the north/side yard is.