Many of the ten Uptown sites -- eight returning from last year and two newcomers -- aren't open to the general public. Take the opportunity to walk around and see spaces that are usually hidden from view. Click on each link below for more information.
The two new featured buildings are:
- 1050 W Wilson, aka Wilson Avenue Theater, aka FLATStheater. Explore the inside of the former bank and theater built in 1908, now owned by Cedar Street Co. Hours: Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm.
- Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club. We had absolutely no idea that one of the country's largest model railroads was located in the Clarendon Park Fieldhouse. Come see what 1400 feet of track and the village surrounding it looks like. Hours: Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm.
- Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation, 5029 N Kenmore. "The last grand Chicago synagogue" is now for sale and could be condo-converted or torn down. Hours: Saturday 12pm-5pm, Sunday 9am-5pm. See photos of this once-magnificent building from last year's OHC.
- Bridgeview Bank, 4753 N Broadway. Hours: Saturday and Sunday 9am-3pm. Access to the main lobby and the bank vault, both normally closed to the public.
- Chelsea Hotel, now Friendly Towers, 920 W Wilson. Hours: Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm.
- Essanay Studios, now St. Augustine College, 1333-45 W Argyle. Hours: Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm. The Charlie Chaplin film His New Job will be shown throughout the day and light refreshments will be served. The college is involved in restoring and reusing the original movie studio space into the Essanay Centers for Early Film and Cultural Performance.
- Green Mill, 4802 N Broadway. Hours: Saturday: noon-5pm, Sunday 11am-5pm.
- ICA GreenRise, aka the ICA Building, aka the Institute of Cultural Affairs, 4750 N Sheridan. Hours: Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm
- Preston Bradley Center, aka The Peoples Church, 941 W Lawrence. Hours: Saturday 9am-5pm, Sunday 12pm-5pm
- Sheridan Plaza, 4607 N Sheridan. Hours: Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm.
Open House Chicago is looking for volunteers who can commit to a four-hour shift at one of the 150+ sites, with plenty of rewards. Click here if you're interested in helping out.